We use 1.6–2 grams of coffee per fluid ounce of water; our recipe makes approximately 17 ounces (500 grams) of brewed coffee.
-30 grams of fresh-roasted whole bean coffee
-Grinder (we recommend burr grinders for consistency and performance)
-Pour over brewer*
-Carafe to brew into
-Hot water (195–205 F)
*Do not fill the dripper or brew basket more than 1/2–1/3 full of ground coffee to ensure appropriate coffee/water contact. Total brew time should be 3–4 minutes.
Let's Brew This!
1. Bring 500 grams water to a boil and let cool
2. Crease edges of paper filter in opposite directions to ensure fit then place filter in dripper
3. Rinse paper filter (to avoid paper taste) and discard water used for rinsing
4. Place dripper on top of carafe
5. Weigh and grind coffee (grind to roughly the size of granulated table salt)
6. Add ground coffee to filter; make sure the coffee bed is level
7. Add water to "bloom" groundsStart timer and gently saturate grounds with hot water, pouring in a circular motion in the center of the coffee bed and allowing the coffee to "bloom" or de-gas. Add only enough water to saturate the grounds; stop before coffee starts to flow from bottom of filter.
8. Wait 30–45 seconds
9. Slowly pour remaining waterKeep the liquid level in the dripper between ½ and ¾ full. Avoid pouring along the edges of the coffee bed. Control brewing time and liquid level by slowing or speeding up the pour as needed; total brew time should be 3–4 minutes.
10. Serve and enjoy!